Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Snowed in?

Check out "Deep Economy" by Bill McKibben.





McKibben discusses the construction of our modern economic system (from the industrial revolution onwards), and how it came to base itself on a "more is better" and "growth is more" system, which we are no longer able to sustain both economically and physically (in terms of the environment). The conclusion is in the formation of local, community based economies, and restructuring how we consume our natural resources. He emphasizes that "More" is not only no longer functional, it is no longer making us Happy. Anyone else agree? I do.

I am right in the middle of it of the book, I will get back some more insights from Mr. McKibben when I finish.

1 comment:

  1. This book is on my reading list! One of my favorite books is Bill McKibben's "Long Distance". It's not climate related, and still touches on important themes in our lives. I started "Going Local" by Michael Shuman after starting to realize that the global mobility of capital is one of the unacknowledged hindrances to regenerative local economies.

    ReplyDelete